Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Showing Off


Regular readers will recognise this chap I am sure, he featured on this blog last year in August when he first arrived here at Callum James Heights and became part of 'The Collection'. At the time I asked, on the blog, if anyone could help with the writing on the verso.

It may have taken a little while but as ever the readers of Front Free Endpaper have come up with the goods. Anonymous placed a comment on the original post to tell me that it says "Here I have sent my picture. In it, I am 18 years old" in Hungarian. Brilliant.

I love the fact that is both illuminating and begs so many more questions at the same time. Thank you so much to Anonymous, these little snippets are much appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


I'm happy that the comment got noticed! For completeness' sake I can tell you that the caption on the front says the photograph was taken by a Mr. Hozdovits in his studio "opposite the Erzsebet cinema" in Arad, which is now in Romania.

This page, in Romanian, offers a "short history of photography in Arad", mentioning one Tiberiu Hozdovits, active in the 1930s: http://mirceaboran.blogspot.com/. You can find a couple of other photographs from this workshop online.

But as you say, the most interesting questions remain beautifully unanswerable.

Aiden Defreece said...

Once again, thank you for the treats. I continually look forward to your posts.

 
Who links to my website?