Monday, March 21, 2016

Early Puffin Books Artwork


Time to say goodbye to the Puffins. Three years ago I acquired a collection of first edition Puffin paperback books dating from the 1940s to the 1960s and I have loved going through them, enjoying the amazing artwork on their covers but the time has come to make some space in the study. So, as I was listing them as a job lot today I put aside just a few of the covers that jumped out at me for this valedictory post. So, for the last time in a while I would imagine, here's a selection of the brilliant artwork from mid twentieth century Puffin paperbacks.













2 comments:

Paul Brownsey said...

Nostalgia time...Bought some of these as a boy in Watchet, Somerset, in the late 1950s...

J said...

That cover for THE HAUNTED REEF looks very much like the series of Jules Verne novels put out by Bernard Hanison (later Arco). William Langstaffe and Jozef Gross did most of the jackets.

 
Who links to my website?