Thursday, August 01, 2013

Keith Vaughan in Monochrome


There's never any need to have a reason to post pictures by Keith Vaughan. These are just a few of my favourites from John Lehmann's The Penguin New Writing in the 1940s, where Vaughan's work features a lot. I don't think the monochrome reproduction actually hurts them as much as it might with other artists. The titles, from top to bottom, are given as: Elegiac Figure, Study for a Painting, Head of a Boy and Foreshore With Two Bathers.




3 comments:

andanotherthing-artistian said...

Fascinated to see these Callum. There are a few issues around at reasonable prices, but when the cover became illustrated the contributors are not listed. It seems beyond the wit of some sellers to list the contents either! Can you tell me what issues these are from? thanks, Ian

Callum said...

Hi Ian,

These images were all taken from issues 33 and 38 although, as I'm sure you're aware, Vaughan's work in both visual art and written word was sprinkled liberally through pretty much the whole Penguin New Writing series under Lehmann's editorship

andanotherthing-artistian said...

Many thanks Callum. He also featured in London Magazine too and a Q&A in Ark the Royal College Magazine, though I don't know the number as I only have a spread cut out...
Ian

 
Who links to my website?