Sunday, February 03, 2013

Things That Fall From Books #10: Celebrity Poets


This is a very occasional series on FFEP that is inspired by the things that fall from books. Today, while flicking through a two volume set of The Poetical Works of Robert Browning I found these two scraps. It took me a while to work out that they are, in fact, two halves of two different copies of the same leaflet extolling the wonders of the North London Browning Union. I've been racking my brain but I can't think of any poet living today who would be able to muster a fan club with local chapters...

1 comment:

shade lifthrasir said...

Things that fall from books are fascinating.
I have been given a precious gift of Howard Pyle's "The Wonder Clock" dating 1880 - an ex-museum piece. Between the pages I found a receipt dating not many years later. Somehow little things like these make books into two-fold stories - as story-tellers, and as witnesses. (If i'm making sense.)

In any case - I wonder about the relationship between the poet and his fan-club... :)

 
Who links to my website?