Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Poole, Pottery and Museum


I mentioned that this weekend just gone has been something of a Tale of Two Museums for R and I, the first was Portsmouth Museum (a little down-at-heel but full of important items and real imagination in curating) the second was Poole Museum which, with one exception, it's display of Poole Pottery (and other local ceramics) was rather disappointing. The museum as a whole has far too much of the kind of local ephemeral item that you see in any provincial museum, it clearly has plenty of money with which to display it all but that doesn't make it any more interesting. Also, all things weighed up, you'd have to say that there were too many games for children and not enough 'stuff' to look at. All these misgivings, of course, are swept aside by the top floor display of Poole pottery. I've singled out my favourite items: these hand screen-printed tiles from the 1950s and early 60s with designs by Laurence Scarfe, Peggy Angus, and Alfred B Read. I liked the Deco chargers below as well for those of you with more traditional tastes in Poole Pottery. 



No comments:

 
Who links to my website?