Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Drawings of Ingres: Male Nudes


I think we might be having a bit of an art-heavy week on Front Free Endpaper: this is not an apology, just preparing the ground. This is not my normal taste. The 'old master' drawing style is one that often leaves me cold and, whilst I love the wonderful 19th Century Academic Nude blog, that's really for the things it showcases that don't fall under its announced title. So, I was surprised by how appealing these drawings were from a book on the draughtsmanship of Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres (1780-1867) and as I struggled to find them on the internet I thought they would be worth sharing. The study above of a young man, presumably on horseback with a lance (St George maybe), is my favourite: quite beautiful.





No comments:

 
Who links to my website?