Sunday, January 20, 2013

A 1940s Tea Shop


Way back in 2010 I bought a large lot of sketches, paintings and other artwork from auction, all by a woman called Barbara Long who, in the late 1930s and early 40s was an art student in Bromley in South London. So you will find earlier posts about her artwork on this blog. I have found no trace of an ongoing career in art, but what I bought seemed to be the remains of her art school days. I still have a small pile of pieces and among them are these six items: a pencil sketch and five lithographic reproductions of the same image in two different colour inks. This is clearly the outcome of an art student's first attempts at lithography but I thought they were remarkably successful, and what a striking image of a 1940s tea shop.





No comments:

 
Who links to my website?