Saturday, January 05, 2013

1953 Brown Paper Bag


I do like things that should never have survived, I like things that are very 'of their period', and I like things where design has been used to make something trivial a little more interesting or useful: so this thing ticked boxes for me! A brown paper bag, nothing more than that, but illustrated for the Queen's coronation in 1953. I have no strong feelings about the monarchy either way and would normally pass over any royal memorabilia but this thing has really tickled me. You see an item like this and you have to wonder what it contained originally, who put something they sold into it, who was doing the buying, why has it survived 60 years when it was clearly meant to last not much more than 60 minutes...?

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?