Sunday, December 16, 2012

Cartoon Mania


One of the reasons I love doing this job is the surprises. This very plain and straightforward, pocket-sized, cloth bound book fell into my hand in a bookshop the other day because I have a mental rule that if I'm scanning a bookcase and there's a book with no title on the spine, I always pull it out to have a look. This one turned out to be a wonder... Every page has a couple of the panel cartoons, "Animal Crackers" by Dick Ryan and Warren Goodrich from the 1940s and 50s meticulously cut out and pasted onto it. I haven't counted but there must be hundreds. How much work was involved? Why was it done? Who did it? None of these things I can answer. Did I buy it from the bookshop? Yes, I did.



1 comment:

eArnie Painter said...

Somebody spent hours of their life and love on that book and I only wish they could see how much you appreciate it.

 
Who links to my website?