Monday, November 12, 2012

C. S. Lewis and Abstract Photographs


C. S. Lewis wasn't alone in having his books reprinted as paperbacks in the 1960s and 70s with bizarre abstract colour photos on the front, but these two fell off a shelf in a bookshop today and into my sweaty little palms and I've always thought this craze for abstract photo covers was interesting. It is largely genre books (sci-fi, fantasy and horror) which got this treatment and although Pan Books were the foremost exponent, other companies did similar things, Corgi is one example that springs to mind. These appear to be macro photos of some form of crystalline structures and I wonder if Pan simply had a pile of them lying around that it had bought the rights to use. There is no credit given anywhere that I can find.  


No comments:

 
Who links to my website?