Monday, October 08, 2012

A Matchbox Collection


This is not a route we're going to travel down very often at FFEP but every now and again, at an auction, you have to buy a boxload of stuff you don't want for the overlooked sleeper at the bottom. And so I find myself the proud owner of eight huge schoolboy scrapbooks filled with hundreds upon hundreds of matchbox labels and matchbooks. It's endearing, I suppose, to think about a boy in the late 1970s, early 1980s pouring all that creative and curative energy into these but, on the whole, its the kind of collecting I'd like to stay clear of for my own mental health. However, it has been pointed out to me that in many ways, this collection does deserve at least an honourable mention. Matchbox labels are, after all, miniature examples of design, typography, illustration, sometimes even engraving. So here we are... a few of the hundreds...







No comments:

 
Who links to my website?