Friday, October 05, 2012

A Charming Account


It's been a long and very peculiar day in which I have attended no less than two auctions. The first was in the morning and I was walking around in a t-shirt, wondering if I should have employed some sunblock before going out and once in the auction room nearly expiring in the sauna-like atmosphere... for the second auction in the early evening I had to drive through that kind of rain that makes you lean forward at the wheel as if that will help you peer through it more easily. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that there's more stock to play with obviously and some of it will be appearing here from time to time I'm sure. Perhaps the most charming little item though was this notebook, clearly belonging to a boy or young man who has decided that 1891 is the year to start keeping his accounts. I love the entries for things like 'Circus 1s', and how did he manage in income of 1s 6d from a 'boat race'! A delightful little thing but unfortunately, the two pages here scanned are almost as far as he got with it all..


2 comments:

JVelho said...

Boys do a lot of haircut at the time!

Carol Dent said...

He seems quite successful at cards. Or, maybe he was into sellng greetings cards?

 
Who links to my website?