Saturday, September 08, 2012

Ryde Carnival and Equus


I wanted to post this a few days ago but needed first a little technical help from a friend. Last week R and I crossed the Solent to the Isle of Wight to watch the Ryde Illuminated Carnival which, you may be surprised to learn is the oldest carnival in the UK and was patronised by Queen Victoria herself. That aside, it is now one of the best provincial carnivals in the country having a heady mix of Brazilian Samba and English Rose Carnival Queens. A good time was had by all but among the drumming and dancing were a set of costumes that stopped me in my stride. Four or five skeletal horses and their bony riders looking like nothing so much as the drawings and paintings of Clive Hicks-Jenkins in his Mari Lwyd series or his illustrations for Equus come to life and prancing down the hill towards us.

6 comments:

Andrew Craig Williams said...

The Mari Lwyd always scared me when I was little (actually still scares me now!) Have you seen this? http://www.ted.com/talks/handpring_puppet_co_the_genius_puppetry_behind_war_horse.html

Elin said...

Totally agree with you, Andrew, re. scary Mari Lwyd. Last time I saw one was one new years in Merthyr - proper horse skull and slightly threatening blokes demanding cash. Still, I love these mad traditions. The fact they're a bit scary adds to the excitement.

Callum said...

Hi Elin,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on Front Free Endpaper. This is slightly awkward but if you are the same Elin M. who has been emailing me on and off for a while now: is it possible that you have changed your email address recently? I have been trying to get hold of you with no reponse. Of course, you may be an entirely different Elin in which case this is all going to to sound very silly.

Best

Callum

Callum said...

Andrew,
Thanks for the Warhorse link - as it happens I had seen that particular video but that doesn't stop it being amazing. I've been putting off seeing the film because I keep kidding myself that I'll see the theatre show first.

Best

Callum

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

Hi Callum. Thanks for nudging me to via this enticing snippet of what looks to have been an exciting event. How I wish I'd been present!!!

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

Oh, Damn spellcheck! I mean 'view', not via!

 
Who links to my website?