Friday, September 28, 2012

Another Peter Rudland Jacket


Readers may remember that one of the book jacket artists that we've been following (i.e. have fallen almost accidentally into collecting) here at Front Free Endpaper is Peter Rudland and today, after a monumentally frustrating auction where I bought nothing that I wanted to and one lot that I could have done without, I consoled myself with a trip to the local secondhand bookshop and cheered myself up by finding this one to add to the shelf Two Eggs on My Plate by Oluf Reed Olsen (Jonathan Cape, London: 1952) is a tale of WW2 espionage behind enemy lines in Scandinavia. I now have enough of Rudland's work to see that there is a kind of identifiable style in the use of thick black line and really dramatic composition - frankly it's a kind of visual melodrama.

2 comments:

eArnie Painter said...

It kind of looks like a child's book. That's actually what I thought it was at first.

Louis XIV, "The Sun King" (Nick Jones) said...

A lovely wrapper. I have a couple of examples of Rudland's work in this gallery, although one of them is The Tall Dark Man, which you showcased elsewhere.

 
Who links to my website?