Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Vintage Gay Photos: Roger and Frank


There's been some discussion on this blog before about the difference between what is usually termed 'gay interest' or 'affectionate male' vintage photos and images which have something real to say about the lives of gay men in the past. Boobob92 on Flickr has a brilliant collection of the first catagory: including an enviable set of vintage swimwear photos (my favourite below). But he also has a real treasure in a small collection on 1950s snapshots of Roger and Frank, a gay American couple. Implausibly handsome in a clean-cut American 1950s kind of way, these two young men have documented their lives in exactly the same way as a million other young couples in 1950s America but their openness and candour in front the camera is astonishingly rare and all the more affecting for that. Well worth a few moments of your time to flick through their family album, as presented by Boobob92 - to whom, many thanks...

3 comments:

Vintagemaison said...

Well, I'm not gay so therefore no expert, but that look between Roger and Frank tells all - that's love...

Callum said...

There is definitaly something about that look isn't there. I think it's the most telling of the photos but they all have a real story to tell...

Bella Collins said...

Gratitude for sharing these wonderful vintage gay couples! It was my pleasure seeing these photos. I too have been using Gay Apps from some days and found a couple of friends online. I hope I would be finding a nice date also quite soon!

 
Who links to my website?