Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Devil's in the Ex Libris


There is a miscellaneous folder on my hard drive, I expect we all have them, where I download anything I like, but have nowhere else to put. Trawling through it a little while ago I came across the above image, a bookplate for Leopold A Chambliss by H. Hubert in 1928 with lines from the The Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France. I know this because I eventually tracked the image down to a very old post on the very brilliant 'Bookplate Junkie' blog. The original post presented a small selection of bookplates featuring the devil and you should go there to see them. I thought I would do a quick trawl of the Interweb and see what else I might discover and we have...


...one of many bookplates found here by Czech artist and printmaker Josef Vachel (1884-1969) that feature the devil or demonic creatures...


...of course, a little obvious, but the master of romantic notions of Black Magic, Dennis Wheatley famously had himself pictured learning from the, well, perhaps the devil, actually looks more like Pan...


...This peculiar ex libris by an artist called Gendel of the devil sitting on a jet plane.

1 comment:

J said...

Did you know that, when he died in 1977, Dennis Wheatley owned AJA Symons' copy of HADRIAN THE SEVENTH, including two Rolfe letters?

 
Who links to my website?