Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Artistic Remains


Regular readers will know that I am rather partial to buying lots at auction which contains someone's artistic remains. Usually this is an art student from the 1940s who never made a career of their study but kept all their sketches and life drawings until the day they died and then, sadly, they end up at auction. The quality is variable but there is usually something charming and appealing about such work. This latest bundle I think is something a little different. I have easily over one hundred watercolour sketches by someone who, although he/she signs most of them, I simply cannot decipher. They are often dated too and come from the late 1970s and early 80s. Many are almost postcard size and don't appear to have been intended as more than sketches - perhaps this artists body of full-scale work is being disposed of in some other way - I will probably never know. What I do know is that this person had a remarkable facility, each one is like a little jewel and I feel this was the bargain of the day at that auction.




4 comments:

J said...

I like the second one (the seaside) very much, and also the fourth (the church).

bisto boy said...

i don't know if it's just the medium being used, but looking at them again, they reminded me of Quentin Blake, the illustrator of the Roald Dahl books. Obviously these are much more straightforward views and not comic illustrations, but there's something about the line...

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

They writing as well as the sketching makes me think of the way architects work, and they are very like the postcard-size watercolours of Sir Hugh Casson, though I don't think they're his. I hope you find out one day who did them. You mention signatures but I couldn't see one, let along decipher it.

J said...

I sent the seaside sketch to myself at work, and made it my wallpaper there--it has exactly the right proportions, and looks quite nice.

 
Who links to my website?