Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reg S Gray: Illustrator



As promised yesterday, another post about mid-twentieth century childrens' book illustration, this time the book is Lizard Island Adventure by John Mercer (Oliver & Boyd Ltd, London: 1965). This is another book we found on Friday on our little jaunt along the coast. I can't tell you much about the illustrator, Reg S Gray, except that he appears to have illustrated a few books for this publisher during the 1960s and then in the 1970s moved on to illustrate books with titles like Spy Stories for Boys and Sports Stories for Boys published by Hamlyn.





3 comments:

Wisdom Cannell Design said...

Reg Gray taught in the 1980's at Southend College of Art and Technology in Carnarvon Road. He was a lovely man.

See also http://artofengland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/prittlewell-first-pen-ink.html

Mick Groombridge said...

reg gray was one of my dads best mates.When I wasa child he took me to London often,always trying to educate me.He was a true humanitarian. Loved the man.

Callum said...

Hi,

I'm truly heartened and charmed by the fact that my slight appreciation of the illustrations in a casually picked-up book can occasion such obviously heartfelt memories of the man who drew them.

Thank you both for taking the time to share.

Callum

 
Who links to my website?