Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Physique


Beefcake isn't usually my thing, just a bit too, well beefy for me. These kinds of oiled-up, slightly cheesy stud shots were the stock-in-trade of organisations like the Athletic Models Guild (AMG) and countless 'physique' magazines and were, throughout the 40s and 50s, about the only acceptable form of homoerotic image out there. This chap just has that little extra something and despite my aversion to such photographs normally, in this case I found my mouse finger exercising the 'right click manoeuvre'. I'm sorry, I don't know where I nabbed the picture from.

UPDATE: A good friend of Front Free Endpaper has mailed to point out that in the original version of this post I had inadvertently typed 'Amateur' for 'Athletic' in the name of the AMG. This was just the result of brain freeze but it was an error not without irony since it was actually the case that many of the Models were in fact not amateurs at all but professional hustlers. One of the best glimpses into their world I have come across comes from Justin Spring's The Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist and Sexual Renegade. Sam Steward, aka Phil Sparrow and the author Phil Andros, was a long term client of these hustler/models and the biography, brilliant on so many levels, also opens up this hidden world in a very insightful way.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?