Sunday, November 27, 2011

Monograms and Dead Hobbies


Well, this is a hobby which must be well and truly dead by now surely. These are two pages from an album containing a huge collection of crests and monograms that I bought recently. The idea was that, by hook or by crook, you obtained letters from various institutions and personages and since they all had embossed crests or monograms on their stationary, you snipped it off and stuck it in an album. Almost impossible now of course. There are still people who collect collections(!) of this stuff and my album, I'm sure will find a home, particularly as the crests are nicely categorised into 'schools and colleges', 'army and navy', 'barons', 'earls', 'the royal family' and so on... but I think, personally, its the monograms that are the most attractive and interesting, not least because they too represent a more or less dead art. I know there are calligraphers out there who would be delighted to be asked to design monograms but I can't imagine its a craft to keep you in bread and marmalade these days...

2 comments:

Vintagemaison said...

Fascinating! Of course, monogrammes were also used to mark linen and clothing to stop the servants from nicking your undies - and it gave all those gentlewomen something to do while hubby collected books...

Mike said...

Heh, I have a girl's annual from 1940 that suggests you could "monogram" your coat/blazer by pinning bent pipe-cleaners on

 
Who links to my website?