Sunday, August 21, 2011

Foreign Languages and Mystery Alphabets...





I have two cries for help here...


The first is a sweet little photo-postcard I bought recently (above) which has the very lovely English caption handwritten, "I hope our friendship will last forever" but it also has some Arabic on it as well and I just wondered if any kind readers of this blog might be able to translate it for me and let me know either in the comments or by clicking the 'email me' link to the right of this post...


The second is something more of a mystery. I have a series of books of Edwardian gay poetry and the author himself has written in the books throughout, usually in a reasonably clear English handwriting. However, every now and again there is a line or two, sometimes just a couple of words that look like the scan below. Individual letters look like they could be Greek but if they are then I'm not able to make out what the words might be. Someone has suggested it might be shorthand but it doesn't look like any examples I've been able to compare it to so far... If anyone is able to identify and translate this and is willing as a follow up to look over a few more scans I might send then I will happily reward them with a copy of any book published by Callum James Books that is still in print... which I think makes this my first Blog-competition!





Both images expand when clicked...



Any help at all would be much appreciated...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The arabic and english sentences are literal translations.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love your blog.
Arabic sentence's mean is:
"I hope our friendship will last forever."
Thanks, bye...

 
Who links to my website?