Saturday, June 18, 2011

Possible Gleeson White




This book came out of a box I bought at auction today and as soon as I saw it I thought of Gleeson White, the art critic, designer and encourager of young talent who thrived at the turn of the last century as the editor of The Studio. One of his other jobs was as a designer of books for J M Dent, a publishing company that he, no doubt, came to know because members of the Dent family lived in White's home town of Christchurch in Dorset. So, when I discovered that this book was indeed published by Dent, and in 1896, just the time that White was working for them, I think it's a fair guess (although probably unprovable) to say it's by him.



Sadly, the book isn't worth much, but it's nice to be able to add a little more to the limited pool of information about this influential character who should really be much better known and celebrated for his contribution to the 1890s and beyond.


1 comment:

Brian Busby said...

I'd lay a fair wager that the cover owes its beauty to Gleeson White. Dare we hope that there are other design elements within? Endpapers? Title page?

 
Who links to my website?