Sunday, April 17, 2011

Magic Walking Stick Illustrations





John Buchan wrote just the one childrens' fiction book: The Magic Walking Stick. In one of those odd moments of synchronicity recently two different copies have passed over my desk. One of them, I realise I have even had on this blog before: that copy was published with the Arabian Nights. The other copy I have on my desk now is the 1932 first edition which has illustrations by J Morton Sale. I was struck by how two illustrators can present such different atmosphere's for one story. I like very much the bright, retro look of the colour illustrations by Soper, but they wouldn't make me want to read the book. On the other hand, Morton Sale's illustrations have an almost Cthuloid, Lovecraftesque feel to them which very much make me now want to find out what thrilled the boys of 1932.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?