Friday, March 25, 2011

Sam Steward - The Secret Historian - Tattoos





Back in August last year I blogged a little about an ephemeral publication I had found which contained a poem I liked by Sam Steward (aka Phil Andros). In a strange moment of synchronicity, it turned out that I was wondering aloud about that just as Secret Historian: The Life And Times Of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, And Sexual Renegade by Justin Spring was being published. Alongside that, The Elysium Press was producing a limited edition of 1,000 copies of another book by Spring, An Obscene Diary. The Visual World of Sam Steward. Despite numerous hints around Christmas time, I haven't been blessed with either of these yet although I hear great things about both of them and I expect it won't be long before I have to dig into my pocket for one or both of them.

Interest in Steward continues to grow, and I was delighted to find there's a really interesting and well illustrated interview with Justin Spring over at East Village Boys which presages an exhibition of material relating to Steward in the near future.
The pictures above are from my collection. Not of Steward but of some of his work on the bodies of young men from 1957.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?