Thursday, March 10, 2011

Poignant WW1 Soldier's Picture




Dealing, as I do, with paper ephemera, it's often the case that some very poignant materials sit on my desk. Like this photo... if anyone ever doubted how ridiculously young the human beings were who threw themselves into the trenches of the First World War just let them look at the face of this completely anonymous soldier. No name, no nothing to tell me anything about him. He may have survived and had a huge family and have progeny in every part of the globe... he may no be no more than dust under the dirty fields of Ypres or the Somme...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is now remembered and his life pondered by my English students as they study how soldiers are portrayed by writers and indeed what their own views might be.

Callum said...

Hi,

thank you so much for letting me know about that - its actually quite moving to hear that his memory, in some strange, anonymous way continues...

CJ

 
Who links to my website?