Friday, March 04, 2011

Gay News at Bonhams


Those nice people at Bonhams sent me over a catalogue for their sale on March 22nd, presumably because of lot no. 110 - not something I'm going to be bidding on but I'm happy to spread the word - a complete collection of Gay News from 1972 to 1978, all 150 editions bound in three volumes. The provenance given is Denis Lemon, the editor of the paper at the time of the infamous blasphemy trial brought by the late and not very lamented Mary Whitehouse after Lemon published James Kirkup's poem 'The Love That Dares to Speak its Name'. Lemon received a £1000 fine and a suspended prison sentence. These are a real piece of twentieth century gay history. Not quite sure what Jimmy Saville [sic.] is doing on the front cover...

2 comments:

J said...

Maybe Jimmy made the cover for dyeing his hair a different color every week on a black-and-white television program!

India Travel Guide said...

I will bookmark this page and have my friends check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else.

 
Who links to my website?