Saturday, February 26, 2011

Male Nudes: A 1930s Model




For some time I've had a huge pile of drawings and paintings by an art student called Barbara Long from the late 1930s and early 1940s - the war years basically. Many of them are life studies, many men in loin cloths and buxom 1940s women with hour-glass figures. I pulled these studies out recently and couldn't help but wonder about the model - cute as he obviously was - what became of him? who was he? did he go to war? did he come back?
A quick thank you to John Coulthart for some fascinating information about an artist in my previous post about images I found in a Finnish nudism book... and to MatthewH for taking the trouble to make an note for me of the artists behind two sculptures that I blogged recently from a trip to the V&A. Thank you both!

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?