Saturday, December 11, 2010

Vintage Health & Strength






Another small collection from the auction last week. This time we have about twenty copies of Health & Strength from the 1950s and 60s. I have to confess that I can find little appealing in this kind of extreme muscle-pumping and the posing just makes me laugh, which is probably not the reaction they were hoping for. Nonetheless I can see they have a kind of kitsch appeal. I particularly like the one on which someone has written in pen by the front cover model "Irv's Hero". The other amusing thing about this lot is that it was made up of these magazines and about the same number of The Evangelical Magazine from the 1860s - and that was it!

2 comments:

J said...

Irv's Hero has a great chest!

Callum said...

Hi J, thanks for dropping by, I'm sure you are right about Irv'e hero, however what I find fascinating is just how different models like this looked then to how they appear in bodybuilding material now. The body shape is quite different and also, I'm sure the average age is higher.

 
Who links to my website?