Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Serpentine Tillmans











On a glorious day at the end of last week I was in London to view the major exhibition of one of my favourite photographers, Wolfgang Tillmans, currently at the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park. Tillmans now lives in the UK and so it's surprising perhaps that this is the first major exhibition of his work in London for seven years. The exhibition is a retrospective and is curated by the photographer himself.


I'm not sure I can provide a deeply informed review but if you're interested enough you could read some at The Independent, The Guardian, and the less than complimentary review at The Arts Desk. I will make a couple of observations: I thought it was interesting that the exhibition seemed to be curated to be viewed with a clockwise walk around the gallery and yet, when I was there, almost everyone walked anti-clockwise! Also, much is made of Tillmans presenting work in various ways including hung from bulldog clips, taped to the walls as well as traditionally framed. I have to say, that whole aspect seemed rather old hat to me, in fact, so much so that it wasn't really something that I noticed much as I walked around. However, as ever, the photos themselves, both photo-journalistic and abstract are compelling and bear a long time looking at their depth and detail.


The above is just a selection of my favourite Tillmans' photos from the postcard stand (not all displayed in the exhibition itself).




The Pavilion at the Serpentine Gallery with the free table tennis tables of PingLondon in the foreground.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?