Saturday, January 02, 2010

Alec Clunes Catalogue


Some while ago I blogged about the book catalogues I had found from Alec Clunes's bookselling business. They were his own copies of his catalogues, marked up by him with details of which books had sold and so on. I found them a good home shortly after that blog post but a growing interest sent me back to the original source where I picked up a box load of other material from the career of this rather interesting thespian.


Most of the material catalogued here relates to Clunes's theatrical career, rather than his later career as a bookseller. In particular, the bulk of the 28 items are connected to a tour of continental Europe undertaken by Clunes as Company Manager and Leading Man just after the War in 1946. Sent by the British Council, the English Arts Theatre Company took Shakespeare and Shaw on an unashamedly uplifting tour to people still crawling out of their shell holes. It was, by all accounts, a great success.

So, a short catalogue in pdf format:


No comments:

 
Who links to my website?