Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction








Of all the SF magazines, I think it's probably F&SF which has had the longest, broadest and deepest impact on the scene. All the others, I'm sure, have their plus points, but F&SF simply eclipses the rest of the field.

I couldn't resist a big pile of nearly twenty copies when I saw them on a stall at a collectibles fair last weekend. They are the US edition, which is often hard to find here in the UK, and my little handful ranges from the 1950s to the 1970s. I thought I would share some of the amazing cover art.

2 comments:

John C said...

By coincidence I've just this week finished the interior design for a new anthology, The Very Best of F&SF. I have a single copy of the mag from 1967 from which I was able to borrow their logo graphics. Quite a collection with a host of famous names throughout. (No Delany, before you ask...)

Mike said...

Back in the good old days of, erm, 1997 the corner shop in Littleport, Cambridgeshire, sold all sorts of crazy magazines. On the magazine shelf, for some reason, was a book called "Oi, Robot" which was a bunch of competition entries from this magazine. Many of which were hilarious. I spent about 2 years of school making references to it, to the bemusement of everybody else.
I might just have to dig it up again, come to think of it.

 
Who links to my website?