Sunday, July 26, 2009

Glorious Summer




As trailed yesterday, I've spent most of the day on the Isle of Wight. The Solent was just beautiful in the sun, scattered about with small sailing craft like so much fluff. I spent a lot of the afternoon in The Ryde Bookshop, the only secondhand bookshop left in the town but still a great place for a good browse. Then to a parental visit for tea in the evening.

One of the things about visiting home is they keep turning up stuff that I've left there at one stage or another of my itinerant life. Today it was a pile of 35mm negatives from when I was a keen but not very talented photographer. Still, I found these two and thought they summed up the Summer mood quite well.
ps. chubbian, I'm glad you liked the Nichols poem. There are a couple of others that I liked as much which might appear here. I know what you mean about the Bhuddist overtones. As I learn a little more about the poet it transpires that he did, in fact, spend some time in Japan, not until after the war though I think. JohnC, What a coincidence you should have been working on the F&SF anthology. I saw more of them today at the aforementioned bookshop but they were the less collectable UK editions. However, I did think of you as I picked up a copy of Lovecraft's The Shadow Out of Time and Other Tales of Horror in a lovely yellow-jacketed Gollancz hardback edition!

1 comment:

chubbian said...

Replying to your comment about Robert Nichols: Presumably he had an early interest in Oriental thought if he decided to go to Japan after WW1. The poem you reproduce reminds me of my favourite Buddhist joke, the one about the Dalai Lama going up to a hotdog vendor in New York and saying: 'Make me one with everything'.

 
Who links to my website?