Saturday, February 28, 2009

Equus: A Sketch by Clive Hicks-Jenkins


Clive Hicks-Jenkins, the artist friend of mine who has been mentioned a fair few times on this blog, has been working on illustrations for a new edition of Peter Schaffer's Equus to be printed and published in their usual spectacular and beautiful style by Nicolas and Francis at The Old Stile Press. It's not for me to tell the story of the publication, particularly as it isn't yet done, but en route I've been watching the images for the book develop out of Clive's sketch book like a psychic diary of both the story of the play and Clive's involvement with it.

A few weeks ago Clive very generously sent me a small clipping from one of those sketch books after I had expressed strong feelings about the image when a scan of a similar pose was sent in an email.

This is Alan. Clive hasn't said to me exactly when in the play, but I like to imagine that this is Alan Strang lying naked in the field, lost in worship, belly in the wet grass and arse in the cool night air while Nugget/Equus is rolling steaming breath into the air above him just up and right of the prone boy in the painting.

I framed it myself. I get fed up of trying to work out which combination of black/grey/white mounts and frames to put with black and white artwork so this time went for something different. The recessed mount I painted in a Farrow & Ball colour called, believe it or not, 'Arsenic' (but as they also have colours called 'Elephants Breath' and 'Dead Salmon' I suppose I shouldn't be snippy). The frame was then painted in the same vivid green and then overpainted roughly in black. I was very pleased with the result.

1 comment:

John C said...

And you changed your blog colours to match.

 
Who links to my website?