Friday, January 30, 2009

St Tarsicius








Because of Frederick Rolfe's first, early publicaton of his poem Tarcissus the Boy Martyr of Rome, (which I republished in 2006), I have had an interest in Saint Tarsicius (a prefered spelling) ever since. He pops up on this blog from time to time and so when I saw this little curio I thought I should have it. Published in the 1920s, this is a copy of two mystery plays written for children by Fr. H. Gaffney O.P. It rejoices in one of the best publishers imprints I think I've ever seen: 'Office of the Irish Rosary'. There is one play for boys, 'St Tarcisius' and one for girls, 'Imelda' and at the back it tells us that they were first performed at the Theatre Royal in Dublin on the first centenery of the beatification of the Blessed Imelda Lambertini and that they were performed by the boys of the Altar Soldality of St Saviour's Dublin, and the girls of the Dominican College. Wonderful little thing...

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?