All the research and layout work on my edition of The Attack on St Winefride's Well is now done and I'm about to start the physical part of creating a new book. A while ago I wrote about the beautiful hand-printed patterned paper I'd found and this is going to be what's on the boards of the new book. But for the spine, instead of my normal paper covered spines I thought I would try using some buckram for the first time. To anyone familiar with book binding, I'm sure that this seems like a minor trifle but I have always had something of a mental block about using cloth and I've never attempted it before. So, I have found some blue buckram and spent a while today making a little notebook with some scraps of marbled paper and the buckram on the spine. It turns out it's much easier to use than paper and I'm pretty okay with the result too.