Saturday, December 20, 2008

Writing from the Order




A few days ago I was excited by the acquisition of a piece of headed notepaper from the Grand Master of the Order of Sanctissima Sophia. And in the wonderful way that blogs have of connecting people and things I was almost immediately sent an email from a collector keen to share his own pieces of OSS ephemera.

There's little doubt in my mind that the heraldry on the letterheads was drawn by Rolfe, you only have to look at the heraldic devices on the covers of some of his books and in other places and there is just a quality of line that jumps out at you. My favourite, having recently returned from Venice where I saw huge numbers of medieval paintings and icons with angels depicted as heads floating on winged clouds, has to be the design for the Priory of the Seraphim.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?