Monday, December 01, 2008

San Giorgio








You'll have noticed I'm sure that I have a thing for statuary and for the allure of polished marble. The only thing I had to do on my MUST DO list for this visit to Venice was to get a decent photo of one of the most beautiful statues in the world. Last time I was there I fell in love with him but due to a glitch I ended up with no good photo and could find nothing worthwhile on the internet. So this time I made sure by snapping about 10 photos from different angles.



Let me therefore introduce you to San Giorgio-Saint George, on the front of the Palladian church of San Giorgio Maggiore which faces the Doge's Palace and Saint Mark's Square across half a mile of water. It took me a while to realise that he was the patron of the church, his spear is broken off and the dragon's head is not easily visible from the ground.



Like all accomplished marbled sculptures he has the most fabulous body - that's a given. But there is just something about George's face in this representation that drew me in and made me melt!


GO HERE for the rest at Flickr

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?