Saturday, May 17, 2008

Austin Osman Spare I




I have a sneaking suspicion that most of those who visit this blog will have a vague idea at least of who Austin Osman Spare was. For those who don't I can't do much more than to point the way to his Wiki entry. I am hoping that at least some of these images will be new to the web. Spare isn 't my favourite artist by a long way and some of his work as a war artist I've seen is far superior to his occult inspired work but nonetheless here for your delectation...

2 comments:

John C said...

New things turn up now and then but for me these are nearly all new to the web.

Mike said...

How odd - I just left a note mentioning that he was a friend of Benson. And now here is a post on Spare. Certainly these pictures arent a great reason to like spare; but his linework is, I think, fantastic. I'm thinking of his line drawings, simple faces and such, as in "Ugly ecstasy" for example - not the stuff like "Satyrs".

 
Who links to my website?