Saturday, March 29, 2008

Vintage Venice






I once had the bright idea that it would be great to publish a book or booklet full of short texts about Venice taken from people's postcards home - this would, of course be an excuse to collect old postcards of Venice. However, the whole plan was scuppered by the realisation that people really didn't write much if anything by way of messages on early postcards and that, when it comes down to it, I've never needed much of an excuse to collect anything!


So it was a delight today, among a handful of Venice postcards at a local fair to find this last one which actually has a message written on it and a wonderfully naive one at that: "I do not think I have sent you think picture of St Marks The Cathedral of Venice - It is a beautiful place. We go about in Gondolas here as we are surrounded by canals and there are no horses of carriages."

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?