Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Misc 4: Montherlant Mystery



Probably not a mystery I guess to those in the know, it's just that I'm not in the know on this one. These are three images from ebay years ago now when I saw this book, La Ville dont le Prince est Enfant by Henri Montherlant, for sale. I don't remember how much it went for but it was far more than I could afford at the time. I remember being entranced by these and other photos of the illustrations in the book. The only evidence I have for the name of the illustrator being Henri Renaud is that I included that name in the folder which contains the photos on my computer. Otherwise I can find no other copy for sale and no reference to this edition on the Internet.

1 comment:

David said...

The illustrator of this book was Raymond Carrance, aka Czanara, who did a number of artist's books. I bought his archive a few years ago and a friend published a book called "Czanara" with a number of artworks and photographs from the 50s-70s. Anyone interested can contact me- I will be putting a lot of hiw work online sometime soon.

 
Who links to my website?