Sunday, January 13, 2008

Churchill and Symons Today



I think this gets the prize for 'dustjacket of the day'. I've spent a reasonable amount of today cataloging a small number of books by and about Winston Churchill, ready for sale. There are two in the pile by W. H. Thompson, ex-Detective-Inspector, Churchill's Shadow and, one feels it has to be said, 'Thompson of the Yard'. Both books are signed by the good man himself. But what a great cover, so redolent of 1940s/50s detective noir. Churchill books are a little tricky for the bookseller these days. On the one hand, there are plenty of people still interested in Churchill and collecting, however, all his own works, in particular the later ones, are abundant and most collectors have already 'collected', in other words, it's not really a field for bright young things to be collecting in so there's precious few people who need the basics. More individual items, signed copies, bits of ephemera - perhaps these have a better chance... We'll see.

Also today I've been able to get around to reading two unpublished pieces by A. J. A Symons (whose portrait is here rendered by Wyndham Lewis), from The Special Collections Department at the University of Delaware. The first is a lecture/talk he gave to The Tomorrow Club, about which I can find precious little information at the moment, on the art and literature of the 1890s, the second is a lightly critical essay on Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Both are interesting but I have yet to make a judgement about whether they are interesting enough to make new publications for Callum James Books.

Also, small news, but fun... I've managed again to squeeze myself into the Found Type Friday feature at Ace Jet 170, which if you have any interest at all in typography and design is a place to hang out a lot...

1 comment:

John C said...

Congratulations on the Ace Jet spot. It was a post there that mentioned Barney Bubbles which led to my epic Barney Bubbles posting last year which has received a lot of attention as well as stimulating interest in the man and his work. It's these kind of interconnections I mention whenever someone questions the validity of blogs as a medium.

I swear I left a message about the Gollancz covers yesterday but it seems to have vanished. Blogger seems very unstable at times, maybe Google ate it.

 
Who links to my website?