Monday, September 17, 2007

Round the clock again...

Well, 3 a.m. has come and gone once again. Why am I still up? As much to justify it to myself as to anyone who might pass by here... I have been typing out a rather cool article I have found recently from an 1898 publication on 'Madame Sarah Benhardt as a Sculptor'. I thought it would make a rather good publication and it has some great illustrations to accompany it which should scan okay. Also, have been proofing the fifth in the Raven series of monographs about Frederick Rolfe. Also, putting the acetate covers on and bundling up the first tranch of orders of The Colt and the Porcupine (see below) ready for the Post Office tomrrow. I have a pile of books on Sussex which are going into the stock of a small shop in Arundel which I've been pricing up and on top of all that I have begun to get stuck in to a re-read of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So, THAT'S why 3 a.m. has come and gone again.

That, and the fact that 'wanking boy' woke me up several times last night! (wanking boy is the guy in his late teens/early twenties who lives next door and who gets his name because his bedroom window is about 12 feet away from my study window and when we first moved in here, he hadn't quite got the hang of closing his curtains when he wanted a 'private moment' - fortunately he has now mastered this trick, but the name has stuck) Last night at 4 a.m. he woke me and R by climbing over his own back gate and falling, presumably stoned, over the scaffolding poles in their garden. R tells me that when he got up again at 6 a.m. wanking boy was still sitting in the garden, mumbling quietly to himself, having completely failed to rouse anybody in his own house to let him in. Ah well, I suppose we've all done it from time to time!

PS. Thank you for birthday wishes - always nice! Jim D. lovely to see you still popping in from time to time and good luck with the new job. John C. Don't get me started on the fate of the small bookseller. I know, as a mainly internet trader I'm part of the problem and there's no way that any bookseller in their right mind today would start their business by looking for shop premises but still. In Portsmouth we have lost 4 secondhand bookshops in as many years. And as for the charity shops! what a lot of people don't realise when they trot into Oxfam is that they have a policy of thowing away any books which they don't think they can put their minimum price of £2.49 on! Arghh! Thev. Hope we can get that webcam link across the Atlantic sorted out one day :-)

1 comment:

John C said...

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to run a shop, having known people who've done just that I'm under no illusions as to the challenges. But things have seriously altered for the worse here. When I moved to Manchester in 1982 the place was full of small independent bookshops. Now there's Waterstone's in its post-HMV incarnation and nothing else unless you count a Blackwell's selling academic titles to students. I don't think it's an irreversible thing but it certainly surprised me that it happened so quickly.

Our local Oxfam is pretty bland but the stock changes regularly so I don't mind too much. And I did find my German first edition of Perfume in there.

 
Who links to my website?