Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Photo Restoration



Restoring old photos to something like their former glory is a hobby which, on occasion, I have turned to my financial advantage. Occasionally I find something in a box of material just purchased which I like to put aside as a challenging project. This rather charming photograph was one such. Really very badly damaged but a lovely scene of whole families out on the beach dragging in the nets.


These are two smaller resolution images from the ones I've been working on: before and after... of course, they won't be done until I have a professionally printed hard-copy of the 'after' to go with my original photo, the 'after' photo isn't perfect but one of the things I have learnt with this is knowing when to stop. And it's only a bit of fun after all...

3 comments:

John C said...

Oh, nice work. As I expect you can imagine, I'm rather over-qualified for this kind of Photoshoppery. I made a post a while back about a show-off piece I'd done where I disappeared some people from an old photograph of Prague. I've got the original as a PSD file with the altered copy under the original; it's always fun to show people the street as it was then click off the top layer and hear their gasps as the figures blink out of sight.

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/?p=1429

Thevina said...

That's really astounding! I didn't know that you did that kind of work, though it doesn't surprise me. I'd love to sit next to you, computer to computer and see you at work in Photoshop. I did my best (and only, aside from self-taught) learning that way. Very nicely done. And an interesting picture, too.

Glad that you liked the Russian postcard! I should've provided a phonetic pronunciation for you, as I studied Russian, hence the trip to the Soviet Union in 1991. ;)

Dan Allen said...

Beautiful work! I do that kind of thing in the US and find it fascinating.

Thanks,
Dan

http://www.reflectionimageworkshop.com/

 
Who links to my website?