Monday, April 23, 2007

Boring Diary Style Entry


Am sleeping very badly again, badly even for me. Hence I am up and typing and quite wide awake right now at 3.44am, considering even making this one of those nights I go straight through in order to 'start over' tomorrow evening. The danger always being that come tomorrow afternoon I will collapse onto the bed and have just enough sleep to put me off going to bed again till late tomorrow night.


Has been a fabulous day nonetheless. Of late we have got a new car - a zippy, little, petrol efficient, small car - the exact opposite of the monster we've got rid of. So it was Sunday... sunny... it seemed a good idea to go for a drive and we ended up in Arundel, known for it's castle and its antique shops. The picture is of the top floor of Ninevah house where a good dealer-friend of mine has a unit but the town used to be stuffed full of every level of antique shop. Sadly, it seems that over the last year or so it may have become a victim of its own success. The place becomes known for its antique shops so the visitors come (and Lord do they come by the coach load in the summer) but this means the town becomes prosperous, busy, successful... so rents go up. Thus forcing a good number of the antique shops out in favour of yet more cafes and tea-shops... This is the stage we're at right now but it seems to me that it won't be long before there are so few antique shops left that it becomes pointless to visit and use all the new tea-shops and cafes and so a downward spiral slips away before us...


Anyhow, although it was a little sad to see a couple more shops gone since our last visit, it was an extremely pleasant afternoon of rummaging and I came away with one or two bits.


In other news. I have finished typing all 44,000 words of Vincent O'Sullivans Aspects of Wilde, the first planned conventionally printed hardcover book in my catalogue. Next comes the rather strenuous task of proofing and laying out, followed by the rather challenging but fun task of designing the cover, followed by the extremely exciting task of uploading the lot to Lulu and waiting for the first copy to arrive through the letterbox!


And to top off a pretty good day all round... I've just watched the trailer for Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix which was released today and have goosebumps all over...
PS. John, thanks for continuing to pop by. I do watch yours every day and some of that artwork you've been posting recently is astonishing. Nicolas, I shall answer your email question about the nudes below shortly, I wasn't being obtuse when I emailed you I simply forgot that part of yours. Thev, hi, glad you could pop in...

2 comments:

John C said...

Thanks Callum. :)

You typed out O'Sullivan's book?! Couldn't you OCR it or is it too rare to subject to such treatment? OCR software is very good these days, makes scanning and digitising a text quick and easy.

Thevina said...

Congrats on the new car! I do know what you mean about quaint places like that only too likely to become victims of their own success, but I'm pleased to hear that you found a couple of treasures to take home with you.

 
Who links to my website?