Thursday, August 17, 2006

More words and phrases

Going through an old notebook I discovered a short list of words and phrases which I must have written down a million years ago simply because I liked them, or liked the sound of them.


spectral
castrati
cancelled eyes - William Burroughs
peristalsis - 'forcing onward by waves of contraction'
mewling kitten
galvanized
decorticate -
'remove the bark, husk or peel - to remove cortex'
carny/carney -
'coax, wheedle, flatter'
arabesque
turnkey
peri - Persian mythology 'a fairy'
ka - Egyptian mythology 'a ghost or spirit'
vector
whorls
shied
verdigris
siphoned

1 comment:

Thevina said...

Oooooh... how fun to see your collection of words, seeing as how I travel with my own portmanteau (or lilac backpack, really) with words that have attracted my attention. I know this is an older post of yours, but I was trolling through your archives to get a longer sense of you and your online journaling.

Verdigris is a fabulous word; I should add it to my collection of words to include in a future fic. ;)

 
Who links to my website?