Saturday, July 29, 2006

Evenings

Though the heat is repulsive, the benefit is evenings filled either with the drama of lightning storms or beautiful enough for long walks on the beach. Tonight at 8.30 R was paddling along in the sea beside me, under the pier, people still swimming and lounging on the pebbles, along the sea-front, weaving in and out of the long shadows that are cast by the Georgian, Victorian facades of the hotels and guesthouses. The tide was so low tonight that the normally steep and pebbly beach had its underskirt of sand exposed for yards down by the waters edge. The sand is flat and the sea comes in over it in hundreds of small waves, rouched like out-of-date curtains. Also when the tide is that low the submarine barrier across the Solent stands proud of the water - massive concrete blocks dating back to one of the World Wars to stop underwater access to the Naval Base. There are only two passages through it, one close to the beach, the other out in the middle of the Solent. Every year some stupid sailor with no experience sails right over the top of it and rips the bottom of their boat off.

The sky was huge this evening and looked like it should hold circling eagles.

PS David, I'm with you on the power of a storm. It's trite even to say it's awesome being that close to the power of nature - trite but true. A storm is something so exceptional in it's power. I heard lately that a bolt of lightning is ten times hotter than the surface of the sun. We only ever come close to that kind of power in extremis and when we do it is not just humbling but shocking, riveting... Porcelain Skull, you lucky so-and-so. I assume you mean 'riginal' Harry Clarkes. I have more of those disbound illustrations, I look at them a lot, it's possible to get quite lost in the intricacy of them. I'm actually not so taken with the Poe illustrations - not that I don't like them, I just don't think their his best... but the stained glass of his I have seen, now that's something magical.
Also, I meant to say in the last post that the list is of isolated books. The rest of the book is all about cult authors and so their books are dealt with in that section, this list was of books which stood out from the rest of the author's output as individual cult items.

2 comments:

David E. Patton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David E. Patton said...

First off let me thank you for taking the time to comminet on my work. I like all kinds of constructive criticism that anyone wish to offer. You are right about talking to the readers in a poem. It tend to break the bound between the reader and the poem. And I think that is why it isn't use much. Why do I do it? I cann't tell, just trying it out for size. We hit and miss with poems, some work and other don't. I am ever so glad that you were able to connect with some of the poems. Whenever that happen it let me know that I am not wasting your and my time. As poets we never know what works and what don't untill a reader get a hold of it.It sound like yous Enjoy the sea and all that it freely gave to you. Some time I go down to the Mississippi River and just watch the waves and the play of sunlight on the water. The place that I like best is a military grave yard that rolls up from the water. Its peaceful, you can not but help to hear the waves lapping at the edge, you can almost hear the sounds of birds wings on the air. When I'm there I make a point to walk among the grave stone and read some of the names as PFC Three,Allen L. Williams Co. K Spainish Amer. war, Aug. 11 1869-April 20 1932, or Charles Albright killed in action in the battle of Soissons July, 1918. I believe that with you think of the dead that they live again for that moment. It is where I want to be buryed when the time comes.
By the way I did the deleted comment because of spelling. I am one of the worst speller around.

 
Who links to my website?