Sunday, January 15, 2006

Insomnia - The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men!


If you've only had two or three hours sleep in the previous 48, you need something to keep you going. So I decided to put together a hi-nrg mix on my mp3 player and set off through the city with 'It's Raining Men' flooding every level of sensory perception! It's only when you plug it straight into your brain like that you begin to appreciate just what a fantastic piece of songwriting it was. Raining men is, of course, a conceit, in the proper literary critical sense of the word - how many song lyrics these days have the guts to use conceits. Then the wit and play with it goes throughout the song. 'Rip off the roof and stay in bed' - 'I'm gonna go out and get myself absolutely soaking wet' - 'God bless mother nature, she's a single woman too'. What with the not so sutble subversion of gospel as well (the song is peppered with screams of Halleliuah and Amen) it's hardly surprising it's become the gay anthem it is today.


I make no apology for liking the crass and tacky things I like!

1 comment:

Jax said...

It's Raining Men is wonderful, I agree! Clever, clever song, totally upbeat, makes me wanna jump around:)

That terrible cover done by the Gerry Haliwell for that equally terrible film should be burnt - I always thought it was So revealing the way that version left out the subversive lines and hence watered the whole thing down...

Plus it's such a joyless cover

 
Who links to my website?