Friday, July 08, 2005

What A Time We Had

Its been a long two or three weeks. In just that time there has been a long list of things to get fascinated by: Wimbledon, Live 8, G8, the Trafalgar 200 celebrations which included the biggest firework display every seen in the UK and a Fleet Review, The International Feistival of the Sea, London won the Olympics (and my impression was that no one here ever believed that was going to happen), and then… four bombs in London…

I have watched all of these events on almost 24 hour television coverage, I have seen some of them for myself, I have spent more time weeping, gasping and grinning in the last few weeks than I remember in the last year. How easy it is to be drawn in these days by visual images, to be directed and touched and torn by a simple and rather blind form of empathy. Nobility makes me weep, splendour makes me gasp and tremor, euphoria mixes the two and tears come for the victims. It is a confusing time…

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?